Things to do before starting a new project in CtrlPrint:
Prepare the online portion of the project:
1. Before adding documents (InDesign files) to the system you (or another administrator) must create a project on the CtrlPrint server. Someone must also add the chapter names and then add users to the project and give them the appropriate permissions.
For more information about how to do this please see the pages found here:
Prepare the InDesign documents:
2. Make sure that you are using the correct version of InDesign - if you are unsure check with your client.
InDesign documents are not backwards compatible, you must use the same version of CC as the InCopy user to avoid problems. (Note that CC2015 and CC2017 are not compatible.)
3. Properly “clean” the document by first accepting the changes that may be present from earlier versions.
This needs to be done regardless of whether or not TrackChanges has been activated previously for the document, or if it has ever been used in the system before. Changes are by default, whether displayed or not, still retained as part of the meta data in the file until they are accepted. This is done by using the extra menu feature on the “CtrlChanges” palette.
4. After the changes have been accepted you should create an IDML of the file, to remove any extra information still present in the document, by using the “Export” function.
Save this file to your desktop (or a similar location), close the old INDD file and open the newly created IDML file to complete the process of creating a “clean” document. You can now add this document to CtrlPrint.
Add the documents to the system and confirm with clients:
5. If you are going to be using TrackChanges or Export for Word with your project make sure to inform CtrlPrint as soon as you have created the project so that they can be activated.
For more information about these extra features please see the page found here.
6. Once TrackChanges has been activated it is the project administrator’s responsibility to add any additional PDF profiles that are desired to the system.
Note that a clean PDF without TrackChanges markings is automatically added to the project when TrackChanges is activated.
7. Upload the InDesign files to the system.
8. Make sure your clients have all of the fonts they require and that they are installed.
While it is not mandatory that users have the fonts to use CtrlPrint for editing documents – there are potential issues that can be caused when fonts are missing. (Texts can shift or even not appear, PDFs will not be 100% accurate, and page numbers may become inconsistent.)
9. Encourage your clients to test the system and make sure that everything functions as it should before they start their work in earnest.
It is always best to discover and fix any issues before time constraints come into play. Potential problems with local firewalls or proxies may take time to correct and the sooner they are recognized the less likely they are to interfere with your project's timetable.