Nested continuations, which are continuations that originate from the same tag and intersect the same text content, are not permitted under the Inline XBRL specification. This has been fixed, and the Tagger will now produce an error in the Excel Validation Report if there are any nested continuations present in the report.
To check for Nested Continuations Errors and locate where they are present in the document, please follow below steps:
- Open your Validation Report (which is present in your folder when you create and download an ESEF-report, or can be generated from the Tagger by clicking Export ESEF Document, see image below.)
- If Nested Continuations are present in your report the error message will appear in a tab called XBRL Instance Inline Validation. It will say that Continuation with ID'[number]' is nested in fact [tag] Value [Text] see image below.
- To locate where in your document these errors occur, copy the ID and open the XHTML-document of your report. You can find this document in the folder called Preview (choose the one with the preview in the name.)
- Right click somewhere in the document and choose "Inspect" (this can look a bit different depending on which browser you use to open the document with).
- Press Ctrl + F and paste (Ctrl + V) the Continuation ID copied from earlier and press Enter. This will take you to the location in the document where you have Continuations that are nested. If you click on the text in your report you will see the same tag at least twice presented according to the image below.
To fix the issue you need to inspect the area. Start by navigating to it in the Tagger and check so that the text content has not been tagged twice. If it has you need to adjust the tagged area with the help of these instructions.
If the text content in the Tagger is not tagged twice we recommend a user with InDesign permission open the document in InDesign and review it with the help of these instructions.
If you have any questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.